Wednesday, February 18, 2009

On the Surface of Things

Last night, I ran my first medium long run of the week, and it may also be my last one of the week.  Beginning from my hotel in Astoria, I ran to Northern Boulevard then down to the 59th Street bridge, which goes into Manhattan.  I stopped just short of crossing the bridge, took a moment to let the NY skyline sink in, then turned around to head back to the hotel.
The run itself went well, however, I feel very sore today.  Most people wouldn’t think it is a big deal, but there is a noticeable difference between running on asphalt (the street) and running on concrete (the sidewalk).  Running on concrete taxes the body much more than running on asphalt because it is harder.  The best surfaces to run on (10 being the best and 1 being the worst) are:
  • Grass 9.5
  • Wood chips 9
  • Dirt 8
  • Cinder track 7.5
  • Track 7
  • Treadmill 6.5
  • Asphalt 6
  • Sand 4
  • Snow 2.5
  • Concrete 1
At home, I’m used to running on streets or bike paths (also made of asphalt).  1.5 hours of pounding the concrete has led to a great deal of soreness in my hip today.  Since I am trying to build up my mileage from week to week, I'll be taking today off to recover.
I completed last night's run in 1 hour and 32 minutes, and covered just over 12 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment