Saturday, February 21, 2009

Long Runs and Michael Carter Lisnow


SO, I just finished my third 20 + miler, and my first one on the Boston marathon course.  I’m pretty lucky to be able to leave one great running club in DC (the Washington Running Club) and happen to join another great running club here in Boston.  The Cambridge Running Club had volunteers out on the course today to give club members drinks and goos (think food in the form of toothpaste) at three different points on the course.  All I can say is giddy up!  Not having to worry about putting our own gatorade/water out on the stop, or wearing a running belt to carry your drinks is always a plus (which was known by my old roommates as wearing my “bat belt”).   There’s also about 30 people training for the Boston marathon, which is good because, as they say, misery loves company.
 
For me, there are a number of things that I’ve done to make these long runs a little bit easier.  Focusing on my running form during all of my runs helps me conserve energy.  Keeping my wrists loose, not leaning over or looking down while running, and not over-striding (which used to be a big problem for me) are all ways to save energy and putting off “hitting the wall” during long runs.  Second, having completed 3 20+ mile runs and a few more runs over 16 miles, my body is starting to adapt to running 2 + hours (which is a good thing). The more you do something, the better you get. This definitely rings true for these types of runs.  Finally, finding ways to stay motivated during the run helps you concentrate on your end goal.  For a lot of marathoners, typical goals are to finish the marathon, set a new personal record, and/or to achieve a specific finishing time.  However, this year, my motivation comes from a charity I’ve decided to raise money for by running the 2009 Boston marathon.
 
I learned about the Michael Carter Lisnow Respite Center through the Boston Athletic Association as I was signing up for this year’s marathon.  The Michael Carter Lisnow Respite Center provides a “home away from home” for children and adults with disabilities, as well as offering parents a break from the emotional and physical demands needed by their children.  The home away from home includes day and after school care as well as overnight stays and community outreach programs.  After learning more about it, the Respite Center really serves all parties.  They have create a warm and fun atmosphere for the children and adults with disabilities and let the parents relax knowing that their children will be taken care of appropriately.
 
All of the proceeds from the charity will go to a scholarship fund that provide money to families who would not normally be able to afford these types of services.  For example, a $75 donation to the Respite Center scholarship fund would cover the cost of an overnight visit.  It’s easy to get excited about the Respite Center because a relatively small amount of money can really go a really far way.  
 
Please take a moment to check out the Michael Carter Lisnow Respite Center website.  It will be well worth your time.  After I decided that I wanted to help this charity, my motivation to train just went through the roof.  I’ve found it easy to add a few extra miles to my runs, as well as runs to my week, when you think about the time, patience, and diligence necessary to take care of children and adults with disabilities.  And if I can raise awareness (AND MONEY!!!) for this charity by sharing my experiences (er, pain and soreness) of training for the Boston Marathon, then so be it.  And if I can also squeeze in the opportunity to motivate others to train for marathon or other athletic event, than that would be just as fantastic.
 
THANKS FOR VISITING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment