Thursday, March 12, 2009

There’s no place like Mishawaka

This week's been an interesting running week so far.  I'm trying to keep my mileage up during the week, and prior to my long run this weekend.  However, my calf muscle is being a little stubborn.  I tweaked my right calf halfway through my tempo run on Monday night.  I believe it was from a combination of running on concrete (again) and running in older shoes.  As far as the concrete is concerned, I had no choice this time.  Not only are the sidewalks made of concrete, but the roads were as well (opposed to the much softer asphalt).  The only chance I had to avoid these hard pavements is to run on the strip of grass on the sidewalk.  However, it appeared every dog in Indiana walked down this sidewalk and so I decided to take my chances with choice A.
After the run, I spent probably too much time trying to stretch out and rub down the muscle, and I woke up the next morning with more soreness (insert joke here).  Took the day off on Tuesday and felt good enough to give it a go on Wednesday.  After finding out they lock the gates to the track at the middle school I was planning on running at, I wound up having to do it again.  I ran through the streets of Mishawaka, Indiana, and I came back with the same injury, this time only worse.  So much for running through the pain.  So, I took today off and I plan on doing the same tomorrow.  
Also now that the springtime is arriving, here's a little hint. Anyone planning on going for a run for the first time since the fall should make sure their shoes are in good running shape.  If you've had your running shoes for longer than six months, they are still good to loaf around in, but are past time prime for running in them.  The shelf life of a running shoes is anywhere from 200 - 300 miles, depending upon your weight.  So, if you're like me, and run with a few extra pounds on,  make sure you're running in good shoes.  Without them, you'll be prone to calf injuries and/or shin splints, either of which are not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment