Sunday, March 22, 2009


Last Sunday, Lauren and I, along with our friends Erin and Brandon, participated in the Ras na hEireann 5k in Somerville.  The run was fun and easy, considering half of the course was on the same streets and paths that I run on most days.  It was a good run to loosen up the calf muscle and the first time I participated in a race that I chose not to “race,” but just enjoy the run and camaraderie of the other race participants.
 
During the week, I had the opportunity to enjoy the nice weather in Indiana, and also found a track to get in a couple of interval workouts.  I didn’t have a lot of extra time during my trip, so when I did get out for a run, I made sure to run hard.
 
On Saturday morning, Lauren and I went out to Holyoke, MA to partake in the St. Patrick’s Day Road Race 10k.  What a fun race!  I ran negative splits (my second 5k was quicker than the first one), mainly due to the fact that the first 5k was mostly uphill and the remaining 5k was downhill.   3,000 strong of my Irish brethren racing and partying also made for a great atmosphere.  It was a fun race, and I’m looking forward to running it again next year.
 
SO, only one more month to go.  Two weeks of running hard, and then two weeks of tapering.  For the past two years when training for Boston, I was always dealing with a nagging injury at this point of my training program.  This year, I’m not dealing with any major injuries and I’ve run the course a few times.  Overall, my weekly mileage totals are not as high as I’d like them, but I’m feeling strong and my confidence is starting to pick up as well.  I’m looking forward to next month’s training schedule, and staying injury free.

No comments:

Post a Comment