Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My Visit to the Respite Center

I had the opportunity to sneak out of work for lunch on Wednesday and I went down to the Respite Center.  I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I was excited to see first hand where the proceeds of our donations are going to.  As I was greeted into the house, there were over 40 people in the main room, just hanging out and having a good time.  I was shocked to see so many people there.  After speaking with Brandon, the scholarship coordinator, I went on a walk-about (for all of you Lost-ies out there) through the facility.  We walked into the kitchen, and there were at least another 20 people there.  There were 7 or so employees coordinating lunch, and the rest of the people staying at the center were chowing down or helping clean-up.
After meeting with a few more employees, we went upstairs to the pre-kindergarten day-care, but couldn’t stay too long because it was nap time.  Finally, we went downstairs and had the opportunity to observe exercise time in the big room and then a homemade music video in the Media room.  The video was unbelievable and everyone was having a blast.  The picture below was taken during the middle of exercise class, however, as you can see, no one had a problem taking a second to pose for the camera!
I’m glad I had the opportunity to get out and visit the center.  Now I’m even more motivated to achieve my goal.  I’m looking forward to visiting again soon and seeing everybody on race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment