Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sub 3


Hello Spring!  I can now say I’ve made it through my first New England winter, and what a way to celebrate other than getting in a 70 mile training week!  I know, who isn’t, right?  With temperatures in the 40s and 50s all week, it was easy to get 6 workouts in.  What I was most surprised (and excited) about was today’s long run on the course.  With close to 50 miles already logged for the week, I ran the first 23 miles of the marathon course in approximately 2 hours and 38 minutes (yes, approximately).  That’s a 6:52/mile pace, and more importantly, the pace I need to run a 3 hour marathon.  It is finally starting to appear as though some of this training in paying off.  
 
During the next three weeks, I’ll have to figure out what pace to run this thing.   Originally, I just wanted to be able to qualify for Boston again next year, but now I’m thinking that a shot at sub 3 is not unreasonable.  It also doesn’t help that my good friend and old running buddy Dan Simonds just ran his first sub 3 hour marathon last week in VA Beach.  You know what they say about peer pressure...
 
This week, I’ve got a few more runs from home, a track workout, and my final long run.  The long run will be about 18 or so miles, and not nearly as fast as this week.   All in all, another 70 mile week would be great.  Now let’s see if my legs agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment