Thursday, July 28, 2011

Quick Training Update

Monday - I woke up Monday morning, and my ankles looked like those of an eight month pregnant woman.  Probably not the best start to the day.  I laced up with the hopes that I'd be fine after warming up.  I was wrong.  This turned out to be an unbelievably difficult run for such a short distance.  My legs felt like they were hungover from Sunday's long run, and responded in a similar fashion.  Imagine running with 20 lb. weights on your ankles for almost an hour and you'll get the idea.  My 9:36 minutes per mile pace was a new one for me.   
Tuesday - Not sure why I went for a run today considering yesterday's travesty, however, I'm glad I did.  I ran a new route and it turned out to be a little longer than I anticipated.  I kept a little over an 8:00 minute / mile pace and for the most part, the run felt comfortable.  And after running past a pack (or flock?) of five or six turkeys,  I was reminded how far removed Lauren and I now live from the metro area.
Wednesday - I guess I might as well keep the consecutive running-day streak going.  I grabbed my iPod, laced up, and went out for what I thought were going to be a few easy miles.  I would up knocking out six miles at a 7:42 min / mile pace, which was a result of hustling for the last two miles.  A Britney Spears song may or may not have been what caused me to pick up the pace (this last sentence pains me as well).
All in all, I'm pretty happy with the last three days, and I'm starting to feel a little like a runner again (emphasis on starting).  This was the first week of my formal 12-week marathon training program, and for the most part, I've stuck with it.  For those who are interested, I'm following Pete Pfitzinger's 12-week training plan at 55 miles or less a week from Advanced Marathoning.  There are also marathon plans for 70 miles or less a week, and greater than 70 miles a week, both of which are next to impossible for me for many reasons.
Unfortunately, I already have some concerns about finishing my long run this Sunday.  Two of my college buddies, John von and Jeremy, are flying into Boston early Friday morning, and the three of us are heading up to Montreal along with some others,  for John Von's bachelor party.  I'm planning on taking Saturday off from running, so no worries there.  However, after a weekend of hanging out with the French for 36 hours and two five-hour car rides within three days, running 13 miles may not be at the top of my want-to-do list when I come home on Sunday.  Ahhh, the French...

No comments:

Post a Comment