Tuesday, August 30, 2011

How to Not Train for a Marathon


by Tom O'Reilly

(If there was a forward, it would also be by Tom O'Reilly).

The last few weeks have been less than optimal when it comes to training for anything, much less a marathon. Five runs in 13 days probably won't cut it. So, instead of focusing on the terrible, let's focus on the positive.  I completed my first 20 mile run last Saturday, and raced home Hurricane Irene in the process. I'm happy to report back that I won (although Irene proved revengeful by knocking out our power for the last three days).

While completing the run was an accomplishment, the run itself wasn't exactly memorable. I ran my usual long run route, and added an extra three miles at the beginning. And although my pace slowed considerably throughout the run, I finished with no issues or injuries.

With August close to being complete, I'm looking forward to a successful start in September. I'm planning on increasing my mileage this week, and I may even have the opportunity to break the 50-mile barrier. That would be a great start to the month, and should provide the boost I need to run well in October.

I hope everyone was able to stay safe and dry and these past few days, and the amount of yard work needed to be done this weekend is minimal.

No comments:

Post a Comment